CoFED Northeast is hiring!About the Organization:
CoFED - the Cooperative Food Empowerment Directive - is a national cooperative network and training program committed to empowering students to create ethically-sourced, cooperatively-run food enterprises on college campuses. Our mission is to cultivate a more sustainable, community-oriented culture through college campuses. We hold retreats throughout the year to train students and incubate projects. From May 31st-June 6th, 2012, students will attend a week-long Spring incubation event in Wassaic New York on a small permaculture farm for hands-on training, workshop, and guidance in starting up, maintaining and expanding food coops on their campuses.
Applications due by April 30thPosition: Kitchen Manager
Supervisor: Regional Organizer
Supervises: Student kitchen volunteers
Contract Length: May 31st – June 6th, 2012
Compensation: $500 stipend. Indoor camping accommodations + meals provided. Access to training workshops and speakers (a $150 value). For the right candidate, CoFED can consider a partial travel stipend.
Expected Hours: An average of 8 hours/day, spread out in 2-3 hour shifts for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Position Description: CoFED is looking for a Kitchen Manager for its 6 day Summer Incubation. We are seeking students or professionals who want to gain skills and experience working as a leader in a high volume, but small kitchen. The Kitchen Manager will also gain exposure to cooperative business development, organic farming and food justice.
The ideal kitchen manager is interested in sustainable food movements and/or cooperative theory and is looking to gain experience working with farm fresh food, managing a kitchen staff and preparing high volume, casual meals in an easygoing environment. The ideal candidate has experience cooking vegetarian, vegan, gluten free and other allergy-sensitive meals. This kitchen manager will be comfortable creatively adapting to two small kitchens, and will enjoy working cooperatively with student and farmer assistants to address challenges. The ideal candidate will have experience in high output situations and will be comfortable and successful in a minimalist, outdoorsy, educational environment! The experience will be especially helpful for students looking to gain more leadership experience in the kitchen!
- Daily menu planning and development, planning and executing (with help!) 3 meals per day for roughly 65 people. Ingredients are provided.
- Responsible for working with student and farmer volunteers to keep kitchen organized and clean
- Provides professional and cooperative leadership and direction to kitchen volunteers.
- Availability during entire incubation retreat from May 31st-June 5th
- Interest in sustainable food movements, cooperative movements and/or sustainable and alternative business
- Experience in menu-planning for large groups, especially using healthy, sustainable ingredients
- Experience working in a kitchen, preferably a high-yield kitchen
- Excellent communication skills
- Comfortable working independently, and comfortable working cooperatively with others.
To apply, please send a cover letter describing your relevant kitchen experience, qualifications, goals, and expectations along with your current resume. Send to email@example.com and cc firstname.lastname@example.org.