Job Announcement for Alternative Food Co-op General Manager position
The Alternative Food Cooperative of Wakefield, RI, is looking for a full-time General Manager and invites applications from the greater food co-op and sustainable living business community. Please see the job description below.
The Co-op, in business for 43 years, is located in downtown Wakefield, a village in the town of South Kingstown on the rural-suburban southern shore of Rhode Island. The University of Rhode Island is four miles from the Co-op. The area has a vibrant and growing local food movement, with several farmers’ markets and Community-Supported Agriculture enterprises that include local fish and shellfish, vegetables, fruits, and meats.
It is a relatively small Co-op at 2200 sq. ft. with about 200 active members, and 14 staff members. Earlier this year, we formed a Strategic Planning Committee of Board members, staff, and members considering a move or expansion to let us better serve our membership. The new General Manager will be an integral member of this team and vision.
We are looking for a General Manager who has the ambition, experience, and energy to take the Co-op to the next level.
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Moving expenses not covered.
This is a wonderful opportunity for an energetic person dedicated to the co-op movement and local and organic food to “make a difference” by growing the Alternative Food Co-op to an organization that takes full advantage of the demographics of south coastal Rhode Island and the growing local food movement. We look forward to meeting our new General Manager!
Please submit a resume and a cover letter for consideration. Include the name, address, email, and telephone number of three references who can attest to your experience and abilities. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
General Manager Position Description
General Responsibilities: To manage the Co-op Operations, to meet the goals and objectives of the membership and the Board of Directors, and to uphold the Co-op’s principles as defined in the Mission Statement
Supervision Received: Reports to and serves at the discretion of the Board of Directors
- Demonstrated leadership, team building, delegation and motivation skills
- Successful experience managing a retail food store, preferably in a natural foods, cooperative model including supervision, business planning, development and administration
- Experience preparing and implementing annual budgets
- A comprehensive understanding of current trends in natural foods industry, and commitment to local, sustainable foods and the cooperative model
- Experience in all phases of retail store operations
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple demands, prioritize, and delegate appropriately
- Demonstrated high integrity and commitment to ethical business practices
- Demonstrated computer proficiency
- Efficiently and effectively organize the Co-op’s operations to ensure profitability
- Identify and address operational problems in a timely fashion
- Plan for the Co-op’s ongoing operational needs, including technology, facilities, and equipment
- Compliance with all applicable laws: licenses, permits, health regulations, workers compensation, & employment requirements
- Administration of benefits and requirements
- Assessment of member and patron needs and desires to increase membership and participation
- Prioritization of goals and projects
- Timely and accurate reporting including presentations to membership at Annual Meeting
Planning and Development - Assist the board with:
- Development of long term vision (strategic plan)
- Preparation of a business plan
- Store development goals and priorities
- Assessment of capital needs and development of sources
- Annual operating, capital, and cash budgets
- Timely and accurate reporting to board and membership
- Goals and key indicators for operations: margin, sales, profits, turns, membership
Marketing and Merchandising
- Set purchasing and pricing guidelines
- Promotions and display
- Newsletter, advertising, and other communications
- Oversee keeping website active and up to date
- Participation in community events
- Wages and benefits
- Grievance procedures
- Participation and decision making
- Hiring, orientation, training, scheduling, evaluation, promotion, discipline, dismissal
- Work with the Board to establish and implement goals and policies
- Interpret financial statements and effectively convey them to the Board
- Informational and leadership support
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the Board of Directors